Friday 24 February 2012

Remember What Mama Used to Say?

Some quotes that I grew up with seem to make me remember my childhood days of  endless cautions and warnings.

Please posts any that you remember - and tell us what it meant to you, and what you were doing at the time of the warning.

Here are my most memorable:


  1. Do Leh No Man Fool You! (self explanatory really)
  2. Show me your friends and I will tell you who you are
  3. Birds of a feather stick together (really a reflection of #2) - means you are likely to do the same things as the company you keep.  Same goes for when you look at how much you are worth, if you want to increase your net worth, hang around those who are achieving more than you are.
  4. Water sinks to its own level - this one seems to continue the myth that it we all belong to some class level and that is where we slot in
  5. You can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink! - you can hand people opportunities on a platter, but unless someone decides to partake, it is futile to force them
You can take a girl out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the girl

Hope these made you smile, as I had fond memories of trying to rule my own life and the battle my parents had trying to keep me on the straight and narrow.
 


No comments: